Travel to Lilongwe
Delegates to the 2022 Africa Internet Governance Forum are responsible for understanding the entry and exit requirements of their travel and determining if they can meet those requirements before committing to the travel.
Travelling Delegates may review specific travel requirements by visiting https://apply.joinsherpa.com/map or their country travelling websites.
For most international travelers, the following may be required prior to arrival:
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and booster.
- Negative COVID-19 Test Result: (PCR) test within 48 hours before departure, or a rapid antigen test within 24 hours before departure. ( For Unvaccinated delegates).
- Additional requirements may vary for each person based on departure location, so please check with your airline and government travel advice prior to departure.
A valid passport, with at least six months to expiry date from the intended exit date, is required to enter Malawi. Visas would be obtained at points of entry at Lilongwe, Malawi. You can also apply for your visa online using this link evisa.gov.mw. Please note that all commonwealth countries do not require a visa to Malawi. Note that you would be asked to pay for a Visa fee at the point of entry ( for those collecting visa on arrival www.immigration.gov.mw/visa/visa-fees/ )
There are several flights that fly into Malawi especially Lilongwe like Malawian Airlines, Ethiopian Airways and Kenyan Airways. it is recommended that you book your flights terminating in Lilongwe and not Blantyre. There would be free airport pick-up and drop-off, hotel pick-up and drop-off as well as transport for any arranged trips within the meeting programme. kindly let us know your Itinerary via email@example.com
International Visitors - General Information
- Malawi falls within the Central Africa Time Zone (CAT). It is 2 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT + 2).
- The weather in May and June is mostly cold but in July it starts to get warm and is often characterized by sunshine.
The unit of the currency is the Kwacha (MK) and Tambala (t). One Malawian Kwacha is equivalent to 100 Tambala. The MK can fluctuate depending on the market forces but currently, the exchange rate for major currencies to the Kwacha is as detailed below:
1 US Dollar= 825.00 Kwacha.
1 British Pound =1258.90 Kwacha.
1 SA Rand=65 .00Kwacha.